Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Let Hope Take Wing

Photo courtesy Erik Thorson 2013
How rich I am! God is the Creator of the whole universe, 
yet is holding my life in His hands. 
-Corrie Ten Boom

Winter's grip is loosening here in our corner of the Northwest. An icy wind still wraps the gray mornings in a chill, but the grass is greening and the bulbs are peeking through the dirt. I feel the cold fingers of fear slipping from around my heart as Kevin and Daniel's medical issues resolve and we fall again into some semblance of a normal routine.

Plus, I got lots of sleep last night. It's amazing what a little rest can do for the soul. This morning dawned gray and overcast, but I know it's just bluster from Old Man Winter. He always tries to make me think he's here forever. But he can't fool me.

Spring is on the way.

There have been some good things that have come from our recent struggles with Kevin's medical issues. It's made us rethink how we do things around here and come up with new techniques for getting through our days. We've been forced to come up with alternate solutions for transfers and do a little healthy innovating with caregiving duties. It's been a fierce-some reminder to never take anything for granted. We'll probably come out of this stronger and better equipped for the future.

God has a way of doing that.

Today I'm going to take a deep breath, enjoy a cup of tea, and prepare for the upcoming writer's conference I plan on attending this coming weekend. Along the way, I'll remind myself to thoroughly enjoy the peaceful days, giving lavish praise back to the Creator for His rich provision. I'll try to make this winter a memorial to setting aside the little things I allow to crowd out the pure joy of living. Every moment without pain is an abundant blessing. Each day with those I love is heaven.

Once again, death threatens to be swallowed up with rebirth. And we have been given this day to rejoice in it. 

So rejoice! Ignore the snow, the wind, the bluster of the enemy. Let the stirring in your heart arise; let hope take wing. 

It's a new day.

And not only this, 
but we also exult in our tribulations, 
knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;
and perseverance, proven character;
and proven character, hope;
and hope does not disappoint,
because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts
through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
Romans 5:3-5



No comments: