Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Toilet Cleaning and the Perfect Storm

Photo courtesy Erik Thorson copyright 2013
Peace I leave with you;
My peace I give to you.
Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
John 14:27

Last week was stressful, to put it mildly. I had a manuscript to get back to an editor. My new computer, the one I bought because I was afraid my faithful old Dell would kick the bucket any time, chose last week to fail me.

Every spring we have the annual re-certification time for our certified family home, which involves extra paperwork and things like having our water and fire extinguishers tested. As a young mom, I used to tease that if I didn't get the house cleaned soon, the health department was going to shut us down. Now we do get inspected by the state. Getting shut down is a real possibility now if I don't keep the toilets clean.

At the first of every month, I inventory Kevin's medical supplies, make out a new order, get it to the medical supply company, and put the supplies away after they arrive. I also have to set up new monthly charts because I keep daily charts of the care I supply at our home. Every month we also test the smoke detectors and change out equipment. All this, and toilet cleaning, too.

Last week was the perfect storm. All this was brewing, and I had to get sick. 

Awesome.

Several nights ago, I was tossing and turning in bed in my misery when I heard my husband and youngest son chatting downstairs. I dragged myself down to the living room. "I can't do this," I whimpered. "Could you guys pray for me?"

They did. It was awesome. 

I didn't feel any better, but God's peace enveloped me and I was able to sleep. The next morning I was on the mend.

Erik Thorson/2013
Today the world looks brighter. The manuscript made it to the editor. The computer is under warranty and is on its way to the manufacturer. The certified family home paperwork is coming together. New supplies will be here tomorrow.

Best of all, I am reminded how close we are every day to the source of peace and comfort. I wasted a lot of emotional energy before simply asking for prayer and giving everything over to God once again. Jesus warned us not to "let" our hearts be troubled or fearful, implying we have the power to keep it from happening. We have more control over our happiness than we think we do. Living in a state of peace has nothing to do with circumstances and everything to do with what we allow to shake us.

When we're in over our heads and trouble has already been let out of the gate, we can turn to others for the support we need. We're not meant to do this alone. We're in it together.

Are you troubled today? What do you do when peace can't be found? Do you have a trusted friend or family member who will faithfully pray for you? 

If you need prayer, send me a comment in the comment section. It will not be published or made public in any way.  I will pray for you. 

No comments: