Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Activity, Achievement, and the "Wizard of Westwood"

 

Never Mistake Activity for Achievement.
-John Wooden (1910-2012)

The first time I heard this quote was during a basketball game on television. I don't remember who was playing, but it was a frenetic game, with a lot of activity as the opposing teams battled for the ball. But no one was making any baskets. With a chuckle, the commentator threw out this quote from John Wooden, "The Wizard of Westwood," legendary coach of the UCLA team.

I was struck by the visual lesson posed in that moment. The players were working hard, running all over the court, expending great energy with no results as they strained toward an ever-elusive goal. Their lack of success wasn't due to a lack of effort. They simply appeared to be unable to hit the basket.

Activity does not equal achievement.

I know I've been somewhat MIA lately on this blog. The new year has hit with a bang, and I've suddenly been overwhelmed with work as new and exciting changes loom on the horizon. Of course, I still have the daily challenges of caregiving and running a certified family home, as well.

Strangely enough, as the workload has increased, so has my longing to do less and listen more for God's voice. I have no energy, time, or inclination to go anywhere unless I see the distinct footprints of my Savior walking ahead in the path. I don't want to simply run around on the court. I want to hit the goal.

I press on toward the goal for the prize
of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

It occurred to me the other day how much I had wish I had written less and read more; spoken less and listened more; thought less about things and prayed more about them. And now the questions abound: What is the next step? How does God want me to achieve the goal set before me? How does this affect my teammates, and how can we work together?

As I work through the changes in the next months, I plan on posting on Tuesdays and Fridays. Be sure to check CMADDICT.COM each Wednesday for my devotional Slightly Obsessed. I'll continue to be posting in the Reviews and News sections as I'm able. You can now sign up on the blog to receive an automatic notification when a new post is up. Your patience and prayers are much appreciated as the celebration of life at 'Til Dawn Comes grows. Thanks!

No comments: